Hurt On Public Property

Were You Injured On Public Property In New York?

If you are injured on public property, you may assume that the municipal entity will pay for your damages such as medical bills and lost income. Unfortunately, municipal entities in New York are becoming increasingly aggressive in denying claims. Without a lawyer’s help, you may never recover the money you deserve.

At The Eskesen Law Firm, in Midtown Manhattan, we are here to protect you right to fair compensation. If you were hurt on public property, we offer a free initial consultation to discuss your case. Call us at 212-433-4500 today to talk to one of our lawyers.

Providing notice of a claim: In New York, you have a limited time to file notice of a personal injury claim against a municipal entity. This time limit varies for different types of entities. To protect your right to file a claim, it is important to consult an attorney as soon as possible after an accident.


Just because you are injured on public property does not mean that the municipal entity will pay you compensation. To recover compensation, you must show that the municipality was negligent. In general, this means the municipality was aware of the unsafe condition, or should have been aware, and did not take steps to warn the public and correct the defect in a reasonable amount of time. This area of law is known as premises liability.

Here are examples of negligence that may lead to a personal injury suit:

  • Trip-and-fall accidents on sidewalks due to unsafe conditions such as holes or cracked or uneven slabs
  • Slip-and-fall accidents on ice and snow
  • Slip-and-fall accidents in buildings due to spills
  • Injuries caused by falling tree limbs in public parks
  • Injuries caused by unsafe conditions in public housing
  • Injuries at bus stops  and subway stations
  • Children who are hurt on a playground
  • Medical malpractice at hospitals owned by New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation (HHC)
  • Injuries caused by missing signs or nonfunctioning traffic lights

Our lawyers will review the circumstances of your accident and then work to create a strong case of liability against the responsible municipal entity.

Attacks on properties of any type (e.g., sexual assault, mugging and attacks at school) could be cause for a premises liability claim if injury, loss or damage results from the attack.

Our lawyers possess extensive knowledge of New York’s premises liability laws. If we can show that you exercised appropriate caution while on the property and that the property owner neglected to keep the property in a safe condition or properly warn you of a hazard, you may have a case for personal injury compensation.

We will represent your best interests and pursue your maximum compensation for medical costs, lost wages, psychological trauma, rehabilitation, long-term care and more.


To discuss a possible claim against a municipal entity in New York, call 212-433-4500 or  email us.

Our lawyers have recovered millions of dollars in compensation for injured people.

Related Topics

Start With A FREE Consultation